Varicose veins are seen by many people as a cosmetic health issue. This view is wrong. When left untreated, varicose veins can lead to serious health complications, some are even life-threatening. Therefore, choosing the right vein specialist to handle your vein and vascular issues is an important decision. When contemplating varicose veins diagnosis and treatment, here are some important questions to ask that you may find helpful in exploring treatment options:
- What is the cause of my varicose veins? They are caused by malfunctioning veins. When veins fail to pump blood back to the heart, the blood pools or accumulates in the veins, increasing the pressure within the veins. Varicose veins often affect the legs. Several factors such as high blood pressure, inactive lifestyle, obesity, sitting or standing for too long and a family history of varicose veins can contribute to malfunctioning veins.
- What are the symptoms that I should watch out for? Symptoms such as changes in the colour of the skin, sores on the leg, rashes on the legs and feeling of heaviness in the legs should not be ignored.
- How do I know I need treatment? Proper diagnosis is the key to know whether you have varicose veins and, if so, what treatment option would be the best. When left untreated, the condition can adversely affect the quality of life. Severe swelling and pain in the legs are some of the problems that you may face as the condition progresses. Our vein specialists will help you understand the full scenario to help you make an informed decision.
- What types of treatment options are available? Depending on the type and severity of the vein problem, you may or may not need surgery. There are several treatment options available such as medications, compression stockings and laser treatment. For conservative care, lifestyle changes are also recommended. Our vein specialists will help you understand all the treatment options and suggest what suits you the best.
- Is the treatment invasive? All procedures performed at Avis Vascular Centre are minimally invasive and are US FDA approved. Your overall health, medical history and any specific concerns that are unique to you will be taken into consideration before our vein specialists create your treatment plan.
- How long will the treatment take? It depends upon your assessment. However, thanks to advances in medical science and laser technology, most treatments do not take much time. Laser treatment for varicose veins is done in one sitting and is usually done within an hour.
- What if I don’t seek treatment? Varicose veins do not dissolve on their own. If left untreated, varicose veins can lead to increased swelling, blood clotting and serious medication conditions such as vein ulcers, deep vein thrombosis and chronic venous insufficiency.
- What’s the cost of the treatment? Most varicose veins treatment is covered by insurance. We, at Avis Vascular Centre, have partnered with leading national insurance agencies for hassle-free medical support with a cashless facility. We have dedicated staff that will help you with insurance-related issues.
For varicose veins diagnosis, visit Avis Vascular Centre. We have a complete in-house setup for colour doppler scan and laser removal treatment of varicose veins.