As you all would already know, a sedentary lifestyle is the biggest risk factor for varicose veins. This is because a lack of physical activity adversely affects blood circulation. Over time, poor blood flow can cause the pooling of blood in the lower limbs and lead to varicose veins.
Just like for any other medical condition, prevention is better than cure for varicose veins and other venous disorders as well. The best method to prevent varicose veins is to adapt to a healthy lifestyle.
Irrespective of your age, when you make a positive change in your lifestyle and slowly start doing mild to moderate exercises every day, you will begin to notice an improvement in your blood circulation.
Most working professionals spend 8 to 10 hours on their office desk and do not get to move around much during the day time. This can accelerate the issue of blood pooling and damage the vein valves.
Thus, it is extremely essential for you to perform some form of physical activity every day to ensure the pumping of blood from the legs to the heart. This is extremely helpful in preventing venous disorders and reducing their likelihood of worsening to severe health conditions.
In this blog, we will discuss some of the best forms of exercises that will help you maintain good vascular health:
- Walking – It might sound to be the most obvious form of physical activity but we often underestimate the benefits of walking. It is the simplest exercise, does not require any equipment, and can be done anywhere at any time.
Walking is extremely helpful in preventing varicose veins. It helps the calf muscles to contract and relax which makes blood move up from the legs to the heart against the gravitational force.
- Calf Flexors – If you have a desk job and find it difficult to spare time to go for a walk, calf flexor is the best exercise option for you as it can be easily performed while sitting down on your office chair. Calf flexor is also helpful when you are undertaking a long car or plane journey and can not get down to move around.
Simply put your feet flat on the ground and gently raise your toes to stretch the calf muscles. After a few seconds, lower down your toes and then raise your heels. Throughout your day, you can perform as many sets of calf flexors as you like.
- Running – This is the best form of a full-body workout. If your health allows, it is best to go running as it helps boost blood circulation from the legs to the heart. It also gives you a strong heart which is critical to your overall blood circulation.
- Yoga – If you do not like to run, yoga is a great alternative to a full-body workout. It helps stretch the muscles and works wonders for patients who feel stiffness in their legs after an idle day.
Yoga helps improve blood circulation. Faster movements help in getting the blood moving in between the poses. Slower movements are useful as the legs get raised above the heart and this moves the blood from the legs back to the heart.
- Mountain Climbing – In this form of physical activity, you begin with a plank position, pull a knee up to the chest, and then return the leg to its original position to repeat these steps with the other leg. It is a great cardio workout that is also beneficial for the heart and helps improve blood circulation.
All the above-mentioned exercises are great forms of physical activity and extremely helpful in improving blood flow. These are best for patients who are at a high risk of varicose veins.
These exercises when performed regularly and combined with home remedies and a nutritional diet are useful in preventing blood circulation problems that are the leading cause of vascular disorders.
But these exercises are not remedial. If you have any early signs of spider veins or varicose veins, you must seek professional medical care from an experienced vascular specialist as any further delay can worsen the condition and cause blood clots in deep veins, venous ulcers, and even chronic venous insufficiency.
Have been contemplating seeing a vascular expert to get your varicose veins evaluated? Wait no more and visit Avis Vascular Centre, India’s only full-service medical institute for diagnosis and treatment of vascular disorders.
Avis Vascular Centre has the state-of-the-art medical infrastructure and the latest medical equipment to offer the best-in-class non-surgical, minimally invasive, and painless laser treatment for venous diseases.
The team of doctors at Avis Vascular Centre is led by the highly qualified interventional radiologist, DR. Rajah V Koppala. He has over 25 years of experience and has treated 13000+ patients who have been completely cured and are highly satisfied with his treatment and care.
Avis Vascular Centre is on a mission to offer world-class treatment for venous diseases at the most affordable prices to patients from across the World. We are dedicated to serve one and all. We also offer free colour doppler scan to all deserving patients.
Avis Vascular Centre has a dedicated team to manage all reservations and appointments for non-local patients. We have also partnered with the leading insurance providers of India to offer seamless Mediclaim assistance to our patients.
Get the best available treatment for your varicose veins by Dr. Rajah V Koppala at Avis Vascular Centre. Schedule your consultation visit today!